Monday, December 11, 2006

Military discipline

Nothing like spending the day on an airplane, only to find that nothing of significance has happened in the world while you were incommunicado.

So, I'm in Washington, or Pentagon City, VA, to be more exact. The Army has kindly put us up at the Ritz here, so I'm enjoying my usual moment of dissonance wherein I place my one tiny little bag (they took my "gay" yellow suitcase [thanks, commenter] and "palletized" it, which means loaded it onto the cargo jet) in the corner, sit in the desk chair in my luxuriously appointed room, and marvel at how strange business travel is.

First, though, I got a taste of military life. I was relieved to discover that I didn't screw up any of the first steps -- my bag made it under 50 pounds, it arrived promptly at baggage claim, I found the driver just fine. Dick, the gentleman driving me, filled me in on all sorts of facts and figures about our first destination, Fort Myer here in Virginia. I was only on the base for maybe half an hour total -- once we got through security, I found Al sitting on a sidewalk telling someone he'd lost his phone charger, which made me feel instantly at home, and then it was WHOOSH into the Army band rehearsal hall. I dropped off my luggage, shook some hands, was fitted for a flak jacket (which is maybe the heaviest thing I've ever put around my neck), received some Army/USO swag, and then WHOOSH I was out the door and on the van to the hotel with Al and the Cowboys cheerleaders.

More later. Now I go to plug in various electronic equipment and steal toiletries.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging allowing for regarding that meticulous model. The prices as regards the velcros were all over 170 pounds on every site. But finally I set this locate selling them for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good day bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching as far as something that meticulous brand. The prices for the velcros are around 300 dollars everwhere. But for all I set this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hello ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for that singular model. The prices as regards the boots are about 180 pounds on every site. But definitively I set this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you tell me about these?